IPv4 address length technical design

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Oct 6 18:35:32 UTC 2012

Well, George, you can take a new idea and run with it a bit, or just
resist it right from the start.

We can map from host names to ip addresses to routing actions, right?

So clearly they're not unrelated or independent variables. There's a
smooth function from hostname->ipaddr->routing.

Take an extreme but extremely common case, the home or small office
end user.

Those packets only have exactly one place to go, right? One default
route.

So why do they need to turn a host name into an IP address at all to
ship a packet? The first-hop route is always exactly the same for
every single packet.

Is this a good use of DNS computrons? Answering DNS inquiries for
every new connection for every single-routed host on the internet?

Van Jacobson had a similar observation vis a vis TCP and PPP header
compression, why keep sending the same bits back and forth over a PPP
link for example? Why not just an encapsulation which says "same as
previous"?

Now, how can that be generalized?

   -b

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada