IPv4 address length technical design

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Sat Oct 6 01:55:41 UTC 2012

On 10/5/2012 9:11 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 05:25 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
>> 5. Bits is bits.
>>
>> I don't know how to say that more clearly.
>>
>> An ipv6 address is a string of 128 bits with some segmentation
>> implications (net part, host part.)
>>
>> A host name is a string of bits of varying length. But it's still just
>> ones and zeros, an integer, however you want to read it.
>
> Wasn't David Cheriton proposing something like this?
>
> http://www-dsg.stanford.edu/triad/
>
> Mike

Not exactly. TRIAD is a proposal for distributing content names using a
new routing protocol (in addition to existing routing protocols instead
of as a replacement for existing routing protocols) such that one could
"Route a content request, based on its name, toward the closest server
for that name."(1)

The actual forwarding of packets/requests would continue to use IP.

TRIAD addresses issues with namespace size using Explicit Aggregation
into collections. (2)

-DMM

1. http://www-dsg.stanford.edu/slides/triad-content-netseminar/img15.htm
2.