IPv4 address length technical design

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Oct 5 23:34:14 UTC 2012

Well, XNS (Xerox Networking System from PARC) used basically MAC
addresses. Less a demonstration of success than that it has been
tried. But it's where ethernet MAC addresses come from, they're just
XNS addresses and maybe this has changed but Xerox used to manage the
master 802 OUI list and are assigned OUIs 000000...000009. Not
insignificant in their effect.

There have been various schemes for UUIDs, intended to be unique, for
both hosts and disks or file systems, some quite widely deployed IBM's
System-36 in the early 80s but also Linux extN, others, see RFC
4122.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada