[j-nsp] Krt queue issues

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 3 21:50:03 UTC 2012

I think route retention might help in the event the table was cleared or
routing process restarted but I don't that it will help with a boot
because the table structures are being built as part of the system
initialization.  In reality, I would expect the static routes to get
installed very early as soon as the routing process comes up.  Since you
will need a route to your BGP neighbor (even though it may be directly
connected, it is still a route), routing has to be up BEFORE BGP
establishes and by definition your static routes will have to be up
before your BGP routes are ready.  How well your router responds to
traffic during an initial boot and during a 300,000 route update is
another story.  My experience with very large routers and tables is that
you will have a hard time guaranteeing user traffic will pass with very
much performance during an event like a full table rebuild.  Luckily
with the bandwidth we have these days and the CPU power on the routers,
it does not take that long to pull in a full internet table and begin
handling traffic.

Steven Naslund