IPv4 address length technical design

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 3 21:30:53 UTC 2012

Remember that at the time, IP was designed to be classful so having four 8 bit bytes was real convenient to look only at the bytes in the host portion of the address.  Class A meant three significant bytes, Class B had two significant bytes, and Class C had three significant bytes as far as the host portion of the address.  If we are looking for matches in a routing table it is much easier to search for an entire matching byte than to do it bitwise.  Even though systems had varying byte lengths, 8 was still the most common because it was the easiest to map extended ASCII into.

Now we could discuss whether there should have been more bytes but at the time no one had really envisioned the public deployment of this at the scales we see today.  Same reason IBM and Microsoft had barriers like 640k of RAM, no one just ever thought you would need more than that.

Steven Naslund