IPv4 address length technical design

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Wed Oct 3 16:52:57 UTC 2012

Op 3-10-2012 18:33, Kevin Broderick schreef:
> I'll add that in the mid-90's, in a University Of Washington lecture hall, Vint Cerf expressed some regret over going with 32 bits.  Chuckle worthy and at the time, and a fond memory
> - K

"Pick a number between this and that." It's the 80's and you can still
count the computers in the world. :)

It is/was a "experiment" and you have the choice between a really large
and a larger number. Humans are not too good in comparing really large
numbers. If it was ever decided to use a smaller value, for the size of
the experiment it might have went quite different. The "safe" (larger)
choice ended up bringing more pain.

As a time honored ritual, the temporary solution becomes the production
solution.

Oops... And that was not quite what Mr Cerf meant to do.

Regards,

Seth