Internet routing table "completeness" monitoring?

Andrew Gallo akg1330 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:34:48 UTC 2012

On 10/3/2012 10:16 AM, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Joseph Jackson wrote:
>
>> I have cacti graph the amount of prefixes announced and withdrawn
from a BGP peer on each BGP router.

> +1
>
> Note that not all router OSs support fetching data like that via SNMP.
>
> We use a custom built thing internally that does this two, which we
then tack on an alert threshold for. So if a downstream peer sends us
less than that, we get an alert. Handy for those times when they call
and ask us what we did to their network. :-)

> Prior to that, we had a script which whould login, munge the 'show ip
bgp summary' table output, figure out the deltas and graph or report as
needed on a particularly troublesome peer.

suddenly withdraws X% of their prefixes?

>> e.g I should expect ~420k prefixes in a "complete"[1] routing table
from a transit peer today. If suddenly I'm only getting 390k prefixes
I'd guess a major network was depeered or similiar.

>> If so how are people doing this? SNMP MIB, screen scrape?
>>

>> [1] Varying levels of completeless apply.
>>

> wfms

So, there is something called the BGP Monitoring Protocol (BMP):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-bmp-06
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/abstracts.php?pt=MTM2NiZuYW5vZzQ1&nm=nanog45

Looks like it is supported in JunOS.

Has anyone used it?  If so, what monitoring software are you using?