Strange MTR output - reversed/mixed/noisy

Anurag Bhatia me at anuragbhatia.com
Mon Oct 1 19:03:07 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Sometimes back I changed my home's router. Right from that time I am
getting very strange MTR output. It starts like normal and as soon as the
trace is complete, it starts reversing and then I see 2nd hop replaced by
2nd last, and whole output clogs up badly.

E.g here's an output with my Europe based server (see the embedded picture):

[image: Inline image 1]

Some observations so far:

   1. Traceroute works fine
   2. UDP based MTR works fine
   3. Many times mtr output is OK for local servers with few hops and low
   latency.

I have a feeling here that somehow TCP packets are returning late/delayed
and the there's some mis-count or so. For ICMP or UDP it works well and for
low latency near servers also it is mostly OK.

Anyone having any idea what could be causing this strange output?

Thanks!

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com