So what's the deal with 10Gbase-T

Adam Atkinson ghira at mistral.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 00:51:28 UTC 2012

Andreas Echavez wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Does anyone here have experience running copper 10Gbase-T networks?

Yes.

 > It
> seems like the standard just died out. For us it would make a lot of sense
> for our applications -- even if throughput and latency aren't as great. If
> anyone out there knows of any *copper* 10 gig-t switches (48 port?), I'd be
> interested to hear your experiences. I can't seem to find any high-density
> ones from major vendors.

Well, I'm not sure about 48 port. I have several of these:

http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x650.aspx

which are 24 port 10Gbase-T switches. I got them in.. late 2008?
2009? Not sure offhand.

 From the same manufacturer there's the more recent

http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x670.aspx

also 1U, which appears to be 48 port or more and to have a copper
version but I've not actually seen one.

And both models are stackable.