William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Fri Nov 30 23:37:19 UTC 2012

Naslund, Steve wrote:
> I might be reading this the wrong way but it looked to me like the cops
> raided his home and the Tor server is hosted off site with an ISP.  That
> is what is bugging me so much.  The cops raided his house, not the
> location of the server.  If they had tracked the server by its IP it
> would have led to the hoster, not his home.  They could have gotten his
> address as the account holder but the ISP would have known that the Tor
> server was at their site not his home.  The IP would not track to his
> residence.  Something is not the full story here or I am misreading his
> interview.

How about:

Police have seen CP and have logs from "Additionally, I was accused of sharing (and possibly producing) child pornography
on a clearnet forum via an image hosting site that was probably tapped."
Police look at IP addresses that have accessed the images for those that are within their jurisdiction.
Police find an address within a block that is registered to Wiliam.
Police raid William and receive an education on TOR exit nodes on servers in Poland.

Maybe?
Why wouldn't the IP address have led to William?

--Michael