"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Nov 30 23:28:01 UTC 2012

I would guess that a lot of the access growth going forward is going to
be a lot of what I would term "incidental access".  More and more
devices and technology requires or supports Internet access.  So while a
lot of people may not ask for internet service that don't already have
it, it will be more of an enabling technology that allows them to do
other stuff that they are interested in.  My aunt could care less about
"the Internet" but she sure loves being able to turn on the heat at her
vacation home and monitor stuff there.

For example, Joe Schmo may not care about web browsing but wants remote
video surveillance, power saving technologies from his power company,
smart appliances, and a car that calls in for service by itself.  In
education, consider that in the third world schools are finding it much
more cost effective to build a computer lab than to provide up to date
text books and libraries.  In that case, the economics are in favor of
technology adoption.

A lot of these will require Internet access and more importantly this
guy is going to get more and more device such that there will be an
explosion in address needs.  Since he is mobile with all this cool
stuff, NATing it all is going to get ugly fast.  IPv6 might really be a
good idea to new build outs since some of the most difficult issues are
with transition strategies and devices consumers will have to configure.
I think my life would be much easier if I were to deploy IPv6 from day
1.  Cell phones that can be auto configured or embedded devices that the
consumer does not have to deal with are the best places to put IPv6.

This is a lot like fiber deployment.  I put a lot of fiber into
countries that did not have good wire line infrastructure.  It was
cheaper, easier to maintain, and was not as marketable on the black
market as copper is.  Some of the last countries to get technology have
the best infrastructure now because they started with the last
generation of stuff.  It is a lot harder to justify replacement of old
tech than a Greenfield installation.

Steven Naslund