"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Nov 30 23:00:42 UTC 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> 60% of the world's population still isn't on the internet and I expect a significant fraction of that will be coming on in the next 2-4 years.

I live and work in a part of the world which contains a sizable subset of that 60% - i.e., Asia.

I see just about zero IPv6 awareness, much less deployment, except peripherally in Japan and, to an even lesser degree, the RoK.

I see so many other challenges facing so many IPv4 networks in this region that it's inconceivable that they would be deploying IPv6 within the next 2-4 years, or even the foreseeable future.

Also, it appears to me that a large proportion of the population in this region who have both a sufficient amount of disposable income (it doesn't require much here, especially via mobile wireless, but it's still more than a lot of people have) and a corresponding degree of interest to obtain and benefit from Internet access, and who are in fact likely to ever get Internet access, already have it.  So, I'm not so sure that there are still these vast numbers of underserved yet eager potential Internet users out there, as is commonly mooted.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton