carping about CARP

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Nov 30 18:34:46 UTC 2012

This issue came up originally during my tenure at IANA, and FWIW I
concur with David. I have a vague memory of engaging directly with some
folks from OpenBSD and letting them know that I was sympathetic with
their situation, but IANA has strict rules to follow, and unless they
followed procedure my hands were tied.

Re the "industry-money-driven committee" bit, at the time (and in fact,
up until recently) I was a FreeBSD committer myself, so if anything I
was *more* inclined to be sympathetic to those from the OS community who
submitted applications. I can also assure you that we did assign code
points to a non-trivial number of open source applicants _who followed
the documented procedures_.

Doug