William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 30 18:29:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> Yeah, next they'll let just anyone walk down the sidewalk without
> identifying themselves. And those are public sidewalks paid for by tax
> dollars!

If you hang out with criminals, sooner or later you'll encounter a
situation where there is a reasonable suspicion that you committed a
crime. Not because you hung out with criminals but because something
criminal happened while you were hanging out with the criminals and
with only a partial set of facts it appears likely that you did it.

It takes extraordinary diligence to hang out with criminals yet remain
personally above reproach. It's a tightrope many news reporters have
to walk. I have yet to see such diligence practiced in the operation
of a Tor node.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004