William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Nov 30 12:58:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 08:04:02AM -0500, Chris quoted (William):
> Yes, it happened to me now as well - Yesterday i got raided for
> someone sharing child pornography over one of my Tor exits.

Question: what evidence has been published -- that is, placed somewhere
that we can all see it -- that substantiates the claim that child porn
traversed the node in question?

Followup question 1: if no such evidence has been produced, then
why should we believe that it exists?  Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof.

Followup question 2: if the goal is to identify and apprehend the
perpetrators of child porn (and that's a good goal) then why would
the police raid this operation?  Would it not make far more sense to
take advantage of the operator's knowledge and experience and quietly
ask for his/her cooperation *while leaving the node running*?

Followup question 3: what evidence in front of us allows us to clearly
discern that this is what it purports to be and not simply an attempt
to shut down a Tor node (and intimidate the operators of others)
by using a plausible excuse based on a universal hot-button issue?

---rsk