William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Joakim Aronius joakim at aronius.se
Fri Nov 30 07:18:04 UTC 2012

* Patrick W. Gilmore (patrick at ianai.net) wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:58 , Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> > It would seem like they'd have to confiscate the equipment at every
> > Starbucks in their jurisdiction, which could be every one in the US
> > for example.
>
> They didn't confiscate every Tor exit node in the US once they found something nefarious emanating from one.

Lets assume that some child pr0n dealer used this Tor exit node, is it not reasonable if the police wants to see if there are logs that make it possible to catch the sleazebag? Should LE ignore crime if it originates from a network which operates a Tor exit node?

I am all for being anonymous on the net but I seriously believe that we still need to enforce the law when it comes to serious felonies like child pr0n, organized crime etc, we can't give them a free pass just by using Tor. I dont think it should be illegal to operate a Tor exit node but what just happened could be a consequence of doing it.

Of course they might not know abot Tor and believes that it is Mr Williams that is the bad guy.

/J