William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Tom Beecher tbeecher at localnet.com
Thu Nov 29 20:26:57 UTC 2012

Communications Decency Act, 47 U.S.C. §230 is the US law that has been
interpreted to provide immunity to ISP for the actions of their users.

Zeran v. America Online, Inc., 4th Circuit, 1997
Jane Doe v. America Online, Inc., 5th Circuit, 1997
Blumenthal v. Drudge, DC District, 1998
Green v. AOL, 3rd Circuit, 2003
Gentry v. eBay, Inc, California Appeals, 2002
Delfino v. Agilent Technologies, California Appeals, 2006

The ISP ones are most relevant here, but look at these cases.

The situation would be complicated if the ISP ran the TOR exit node
themselves, and that would be a messy legal battle I'm sure.

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that running a TOR exit on a
home PC on a residential internet connection is silly. You might legally
not be held responsible at the end of the day, but it just may cost you
a lot in legal fees to get there.

Personally, I have better things to spend money on.

--
Thomas Beecher II
Senior Network Administrator
tbeecher at localnet.com