"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Nov 29 17:26:26 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: "Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications".... Date: Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:55:19AM -0500 Quoting William Herrin (bill at herrin.us):
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> wrote:
> > You should store IPv6 as a pair of 64-bit integers.  While PHP lacks
> > the function set to do this on its own, it's not very difficult to do.
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> I have to disagree. In your SQL database you should store addresses as
> a fixed length character string containing a zero-padded hexadecimal
> representation of the IPv4 or IPv6 address with A through F forced to
> the consistent case of your choice. Expand :: and optionally strip the
> colons entirely. If you want to store a block of addresses, store it
> as two character strings: start and end of the range.

No, you are both worng. The answer is simple and practical:

Use a database that has a modern IP adress database type. Like
Postgres. Its IP-adress data types understand and parse both adress
strings and network strings (and, of course -- a network with the proper
netmask set might be interpreted like a host.)

The 32-bit integer trick might, just might make do for IPv4, but a proper
data type is so much simpler to use.

<non-technical ranting part>
	Also, stepping away from MySQL or Oracle makes Larry less powerful.
</non-technical ranting part>

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668