"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Nov 29 05:40:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-28 18:26, Michael Thomas wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 09:00 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>
>> And still, if you as a proper engineer where not able to test/add IPv6
>> code in the last 10++ years, then you did something very very wrong in
>> your job, the least of which is to file a ticket for IPv6 support in the
>> ticket tracking system so that one could state "I thought of it, company
>> did not want it".
>>

> It's very presumptuous for you to tell me what my development/test
> priorities ought to be, and I can tell you for absolute certain that any
> such badgering will be met with rolled eyes and quick dismissal.

You are missing the point that people have been told already for a
decade to add IPv6 support to their products.

As such, if you do not care, the only thing left when it does hit you
is: the Internets told you so.

See the rest of this thread which contains nice links to RFCs which also
indicate that one should have been supporting IPv6 already years ago.

> The
> only way that things will get fixed is if there's a perceived need to
> fix them.

I fully agree, but instead of waiting till the last moment you can also
plan ahead and be ahead of the game.

Do remember why there where so many of these "IPv4 address space is
running out" counters and announcements.

It is all to make you aware. Obviously you quickly dismissed that.

That is your choice though.

> Getting corpro-IT to upgrade to v6 -- as if there is even a
> corpro-anything with most phone apps -- just to be able to test against
> v6 is a fantasy.

Adding the infrastructure to be 99% there is already a good start.
And that you already had a decade for to do.

Phone Apps btw are only something from the last few years, thus you
can't even claim there is a 'legacy' there and "IPv6 didn't exist yet"
arguments don't go either. Note also that most devkits (Android/IOS)
provide IP-agnostic APIs, thus if used you at least have nothing
IPv6-specific in that code.

Also, google(eva ipv6) for a very nice simple tutorial on moving your
apps from IPv4 to IPv4/IPv6. You do not need to test on IPv6 or fully
support it yet, but at least you know that when you get IPv6
connectivity it most very likely just works.

> The only way things are going to change is to make v6 a part of everybody's
> day-to-day life. That means ISP's giving me and every other developer a
> /64 at home at the very least.

And that is happening, I hope you are ready to support those users
because well, everybody told you it would happen, thus don't cry when
you are too late at the game...

(of course, some people simply do not care about the job they deliver,
but in that case, it is also wise to not comment on a public list about
things ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen