"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Nov 29 00:28:06 UTC 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:18 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> But I will absolutely refuse the idea that anyone incapable of getting their application tested with IPv6 are able to create any useful networking software.

Who's talking about 'networking software'?  'Networking software' is irrelevant for the vast majority of the userbase.  I'm talking about ordinary applications which do stupid things like edit documents and calculate payroll runs.

The main points I've taken away from this discussion is that a non-trivial proportion of ISP operational personnel have no idea what life is like within the enterprise organizations which are their customers; that they have a grossly exaggerated view of the skillsets, levels of engagement, and degrees of empowerment amongst run-of-the-mill software developers; and that they are either incapable of or are unwilling to step down from the rarified atmospheres of the technical heights they inhabit relative to the hoi polloi and even attempt to understand the constraints under which they operate.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton