"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Nov 28 18:47:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, david peahi wrote:

> On the practical side: Have all programmers created a 128 bit field to
> store the IPv6 address, where IPv4 programs use a 32 bit field to store
> the IP address? This would seem to be similar to the year 2000 case
> where almost all programs required auditing to see if they took into
> account dates after 1999.

The new APIs have been around since about that time ~2000.

<http://www.kutukupret.com/2009/09/28/gethostbyname-vs-getaddrinfo/>
<http://udrepper.livejournal.com/16116.html>

... but a few. I am sure there is a lot of new and old code using the old
APIs. I wish there would be a WARN or equivalent in the APIs to tell the
devs that they're using a old (should be deprecated :P) API call.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se