"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Wed Nov 28 17:11:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Not for faking it, but in the case you mention it is very obvious that
> the software engineer should be able to ask their network team to make
> sure that they can access those API's if only for testing...

You're assuming, now, that the network team either a) works for the same
arm of the company as the development team, and therefor can apply
pressure on them or b) has support to build v6 into the system already (so
they have time and resources to support the dev team), or c) gives a foo
at all.   Not to mention the time the dev team will spend spinning its
wheels.

Now, yes - if "ipv6 support" is a feature of the product they're
building (and so driven and supported by management or marketing teams)
then things could work as you suggest.

But until such time as v6 support is something that they care about
upstream...well.   The 2 days of time you were budgeted to build the
tool/feature/etc you're supposed to be working on isn't really going to
include time to get v6 support in.

> your job, the least of which is to file a ticket for IPv6 support in the
> ticket tracking system so that one could state "I thought of it, company
> did not want it".

funnily enough that's -exactly- what I've been doing for the last 3 years.
So, until it comes down from the top, the company doesn't want it.

...david (who is not a developer and is a network engineer, but not in
this job)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org       ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail