1310nm optics over Corning LEAF G.655?

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:05:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone run 1000BASE-LX/10GBASE-LR 1310nm optics over a ~10km Corning
> LEAF G.655 span?
>
> I understand this fiber is not optimized for such usage, but what is
> the real-world behaviour? I'm having a hard time finding hard data.
>
> (Normal optics will be 1550nm and DWDM over ~40-100km spans.)
>
> --
> Tim:>

For the record, 1000BASE-LX 1310nm 10km and 20km rated optics did not work
across this span. Based on loss measurements, this was not due to optical
budget. This may be due to the cutoff wavelength of this fiber being 1360nm.

1000BASE-LX 1310nm 40km rated optics worked (with a 10dB attenuator.)

1000BASE-ZX 1550nm 80km rated optics worked (with a 10dB attenuator.)

Hope that helps someone in the future. If anyone has any comments, I would
be interested to hear (either pm or public.)

Thanks,

--
Tim:>