"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Nov 28 12:23:39 UTC 2012

"Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> writes:

> On Nov 28, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Do you really want to run netowrking software written by someone incapable of setting up a test network?
>
> If you don't think you're running some piece or another of software
> right this minute which was coded by someone incapable of setting up a
> test network, you're mistaken.

Maybe so.  But do I _want_ do run that software?  No.

Anyway, I am not sure which programs that would be.  The applications
with open sockets on my laptop are currently:

cupsd
dhclient
emacs
gpsd
gvfsd-http
inetd
mysqld
named
netserver
ntpd
rpcbind
rpc.statd
(squid)
ssh
sshd

This is of course not a complete list of all applications I need to
verify.  I should add a number of client applications not currently
running, and inetd may fire up proftpd and atftpd when necessary.

But FWIW the only suspicious application I can see on that initial list
is gvfsd-http.  I don't know anything about the programmers behind that.
I am pretty sure the people behind the rest of the software are capable
of setting up a test network.

Bjørn