Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Nov 28 11:01:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> Try to keep device bugs and network deployment issues separate.

Please elaborate. What is a "bug" here? That Galaxy Nexus exposes "IPv4v6"
when the baseband module doesn't support it?

>> I don't know if they do special versions for
>> the US market, but for general 3GPP networks, it doesn't work.
>
> IPv6 work just fine in 3GPP networks.  Also in Europe.

I am well aware of this, I work for a mobile provider, trying to deploy
IPv6. I have a few devices (usb dongles) that work properly, I have a lot
of others that do not.

But in order to deploy this in any meaningful way, there need to be
handsets that support IPv4v6 bearer continuity on 2G/3G/4G. Until that
happens, NAT44 using CGN gives better customer experience.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se