Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Nov 28 06:57:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> Verizon in the USA does have iOS on ipv6. Afaik, the network must ask for
> it the same way all Android Samsung devices on t-mobile now have ipv6 as a
> user option because it is part of the requirements for the oems.

I have been trying to locate someone within Apple for months now to speak
about IPv6 on their mobile devices. The wall of silence is impressive.

The android manufacturers at last respond, even though it's not always the
answer I want :P

> Win phone 8 has a menu option for ipv6 but I don't think it works ....

Yeah, it's like the Galaxy Nexus which has IPv4v6 in the menu but if you
use it it asks for an IPv4 PDP context and when it gets it, it falls over
and needs to be rebooted.

> I have been v6-only on mobile for 2 years now, and I feel fine. I am
> sending this email using a v6-only note2... dogfooding it. Yet, the
> rotten apples spoil the bunch as the saying goes... and hence 464xlat.

Any progress with this, to get this into mainline?

Then again, I feel we'll have proper IPv4v6 PDP context before there is
any worthwile 464XLAT deployment, but for the long tail I would like to
have 464XLAT in all devices.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se