Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:56:50 UTC 2012

Sent from ipv6-only Android
On Nov 27, 2012 8:39 PM, "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, mike wrote:
>
>> You're saying there are no cellular v6 deployments? I'm about 99%
certain that you're wrong. I see v6 addresses in my apache logs all the
time and they're almost definitely while they're not on wifi (my site
uploads gps data while people are skiing, so they're usually on cellular).

> I am in Europe. None of Apple och Microsoft mobile devices will do IPv6
on the mobile side. I don't know if they do special versions for the US
market, but for general 3GPP networks, it doesn't work.

Verizon in the USA does have iOS on ipv6. Afaik, the network must ask for
it the same way all Android Samsung devices on t-mobile now have ipv6 as a
user option because it is part of the requirements for the oems.

Win phone 8 has a menu option for ipv6 but I don't think it works ....

>> Is this the app's fault? What are they doing wrong?
>

> They try to detect if there is Internet connectivity and check only IPv4,
they use IPv4 literals and other things. I am not an app developer, I do
networking, and when I connect IPv6 only to Android or Windows, a lot of
things stop working. I haven't tried iPhone but I would believe the
situation is similar there.

Just to quantify,  a lot of things stop working = about 15% of the top 200
apps ... names like Skype, Spotify, tango and Netflix fail. Sorry to nit
pick, but I want to make sure the scope of the issue is well understood.

Meanwhile, 85% of the apps work fine like email (smtp, pop, imap,
exchange), gmail, chrome/firefox/opera, facebook, twitter, youtube, words
with friends, Google maps, mapquest ...

I have been v6-only on mobile for 2 years now, and I feel fine. I am
sending this email using a v6-only note2... dogfooding it. Yet, the rotten
apples spoil the bunch as the saying goes... and hence 464xlat.

CB