juniper vpn

Cody Rose cody at killsudo.info
Wed Nov 28 03:14:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:25:46 -0800, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know a practical and somewhat user friendly way of
> connecting to juniper vpn using linux?
>
> I have happily used http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/ a
> allow linux users to connect cisco vpn boxes where a crappy cisco vpn
> client would be needed otherwise, and it works very nicely. I was
> hoping there exists a similar tool for juniper vpn.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeroen

I have had great success with the Shrew Soft vpn client and if you are
using Fedora it is only a 'yum install ike' away and works without root
and properly utilizes the tap interface while installing the proper
routes needed to get traffic going.

For aggressive mode dial-up vpn's against older Netscreen/Juniper gear
the Shrew Soft client can't be beat for easy of setup under Linux and
Windows.

I have tried multiple different vpn configs from policy to route-based
vpns on Juniper/Netscreens and have never had luck getting the Linux
vpnc clients to properly work though others have claimed success. The
vpnc client will establish the tunnel but getting traffic to properly
pass even in the simplest of networks is to big of pain.

Since Shrew Soft has both Windows and Linux support, exporting a config
from a Linux client and emailing it to a friend on Windows just works.

http://www.shrew.net/home

Regards,

Cody