"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 27 22:29:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:
> I cannot be saf for the people who claim to be programmers who do things
> with networking and who do not care to follow the heavy hints that they
> have been getting for at least the last 10 years that their applications
> need to start supporting IPv6.

Your lack of sorrow is immaterial to the programmers in question. And
in the vast majority of cases the network is incidental to their
software's role. The network is the tool not the product. They'll use
the available tool.

> As for actually getting IPv6 at home or at work, there are so many ways
> to get that, thus not having it is a completely ridiculous excuse.

At home sure. If they're willing to go to a little bit of effort they
can have a tunnel.

At work, few programmers have any control whatsoever over the
available network resources in their development environment. Heck,
most count it a win if they can get corporate IT to disable realtime
virus checking in the compile tree so that they can compile an
application in a reasonable length of time. Control fine details of
the network environment? You must kidding.

> (It might not be native, so wh00p, you can test fine also on a local
> link in the extreme case)

You know better. You can't test worth sh*t without a real network
connection with hosts on the other side that do things you weren't
expecting.

> As such, if an application does not do proper IPv6 today the people in
> charge of the thing simply did not care...

did not care = true
simply = false

Deciding which of the nice-to-haves you're just not going to care
about is rarely a simple question.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004