Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:11:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 11:58 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM, mike <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is this the app's fault? What are they doing wrong?
>>>

>> Yes, it is the app's fault.
>>
>> They are either doing IPv4 literals or IPv4-only sockets
>>
>> The IPv4 literal issues is when they do "wget http://192.168.1.1" ...
>> hard coding IPv4 addresses... instead of using an FQDN like "wget
>> http://example.com".  Using an FQDN allows the DNS64 to work
>> correctly.
>

> I can understand spotify, but don't really understand why waze

Why can you understand Spotify not working on IPv6?  Are they known
for having a generally shoddy product?

Pandora works fine on my IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 setup.  As does Youtube
and many other multimedia services.

Is Waze much different from Google Maps?  Google Maps works great, as
does Mapquest on ipv6-only

And this is the conversation folks will have...: "Oh... Waze does not
work, you should try their competitor it works great"  and " I used to
use Spotify, then i changed networks and it stopped working... now i
use Pandora or Google Music"

> would have a problem unless they're doing some sort of rendezvous
> like protocol that embeds ip addresses. That said, I'd say that the
> vast majority of apps don't have this sort of problem and will quite
> unknowingly and correctly work with v6.

Yes, 85% of the Android apps i have tested (sample of over 200) work
fine on IPv6-only ... likely due to just good coding practices ... not
due to specific IPv6 engineering.

CB