Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:22:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <alpine.DEB.2.00.1211270558340.27834 at uplift.swm.pp.se>, Mikael Abrah
> amsson writes:
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Michael Thomas wrote:
>>
>> > I don't see either Apple or Microsoft as being the hindrance. In fact,
>> > both of them seem pretty ready, fsvo "ready". Unlike ISP's by and large.
>> > But I'm pretty sure that both iPhones and Androids are pretty happy
>> > about being in v6 land since I see them showing up in my logs all the
>> > time, for the few providers that have lit up v6.
>>
>> Not on the mobile side. Wifi yes, mobile no.
>>
>> > I'm all for bagging on those two, but it seems pretty unjustified here.
>>
>> What they need to start doing is testing Apps for IPv6 only access
>> capabilitity. This doesn't work today, Apps like Waze, Spotify and others
>> do not work on IPv6 only access.
>
> One could just start adding negative reviews to any product that
> doesn't work in a IPv6 only network.

Yes, you can start your reviews on Android with Skype, Netflix, and
Spotify all fail to work in an IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 3G/4G network

This list needs to be updated, but it is a fair starting point
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnVbRg3DotzFdGVwZWlWeG5wXzVMcG5qczZEZloxWGc#gid=0

It is also worth noting that folks can certainly test IPv6-only apps
using T-Mobile in the USA
https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch, that's just one data
point.

And, 464XLAT on Android does enable these broken application to work
correctly on an IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 network
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-08

464XLAT and IPv6 tethering code for Android here
http://dan.drown.org/android/clat/

CB