Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Tue Nov 27 07:29:23 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration Date: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:18:13PM +0000 Quoting Dobbins, Roland (rdobbins at arbor.net):

> How much of a priority do you think IPv6 capabilities are for corporate IT departments, beyond a checklist item on RFPs in order to CYA?

I am -- in addition to running eBGP for my employer -- also the acting
network strategist and proper IP networking evangelist at my employer. We
have been buying v6 compatible gear and connections for four years
now. We are configuring IPv6 on all backbone links and are carefully
deploying v6 to workstation and server networks all over the enterprise.

> Where are the IPv6-only SQL Server deployments within enterprises, for example?  In fact, where are the IPv6-enabled client access LANs within enterprises?  Or even the *plans* for these types of deployments/capabilities?

There are no v6-only deployments of SQL Server. The admins request and
setup v4, the server requests and sets up v6, and the clients use whatever
is in the DNS. The server will register in DNS so v6 has a fair chanche
of getting chosen.

> Maybe they're hiding in plain sight.  But I don't think so.

We discovered that the HUB/TRANSPORT nodes in the Exchange collective
talked Link-local v6 to the MBOX nodes. Service discovery. Magic. The
Exchange admins had no idea, but that probably was because they are good,
obedient employees and use the mandated email client, which makes viewing
headers something of a challenge.

V6 will, given a few careful pushes, deploy itself. Slightly exaggerated,
but that's how it is.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668