[serval-project-dev] Re: Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 27 07:12:47 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Lakeman <jeremy at servalproject.org> -----

From: Jeremy Lakeman <jeremy at servalproject.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:10:26 +1030
To: serval-project-developers at googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [serval-project-dev] Re: Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Allocate an IPv6 private network range using a scheme like this;
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hain-ipv6-geo-addr-01
Probably with around 36 bits (100m) of precision, leaving the rest of
the /64 to flag that it's private and geographically based.

Internet gateways have their own "real" /64. Internet traffic would be
routed to the correct gateway based on the network of the source
address.

If each device uses the same 64bit host id on each network. Local mesh
route calculations can be based on a single main address per device,
with an additional routing entry added for each network we believe
that host should have.

A protocol like SCTP will also allow both parties to change networks
without needing to re-establish links.

Then the biggest scalability problem for routing packets world-wide to
an individual is a directory service for publishing and resolving
current network locations.

----- End forwarded message -----