Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Nov 27 01:25:53 UTC 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 8:07 AM, Cutler James R wrote:

> Those content/services/applications will only be reachable via IPv6 because that is all that can be deployed without truly horrendous and costly mismanagement of IPv4 address space.

Our views differ in that it is my belief that said truly horrendous and costly mismanagement of IPv4 address space is the norm now and will continue to be the norm for the foreseeable future, absent some positive economic stimulus to do otherwise.

> From a longer-than-next-month business viewpoint, it is more cost effective to deploy IPv6 than to continue the crude IPv4 hacks previously mentioned.

When considering the entire value chain of Internet connectivity, I'm not sure if that's a true statement, or that it will become a true statement in the foreseeable future.

> Please note that this does not imply instant turndown of existing IPv4.

Which is part of the problem.

;>

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton