Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Nov 26 23:56:13 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 03:18 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> Apple and Microsoft are application developers as well as OS vendors.  How much of a priority do you think IPv6 capabilities are to their application development organizations?  How much of a priority do you think IPv6 capabilities are to their customer bases?

I don't see either Apple or Microsoft as being the hindrance. In fact, both
of them seem pretty ready, fsvo "ready". Unlike ISP's by and large. But I'm
pretty sure that both iPhones and Androids are pretty happy about being
in v6 land since I see them showing up in my logs all the time, for the few
providers that have lit up v6.

I'm all for bagging on those two, but it seems pretty unjustified here.

> How much of a priority do you think IPv6 capabilities are for corporate IT departments, beyond a checklist item on RFPs in order to CYA?
>
> Where are the IPv6-only SQL Server deployments within enterprises, for example?  In fact, where are the IPv6-enabled client access LANs within enterprises?  Or even the *plans* for these types of deployments/capabilities?

Er, uh, huh? v6 has been available forever on the usual suspect host operating
systems, and most server side apps don't need to do much to support lighting
v6 support up that I can think of.  I turned it on and it was pretty much a big
ho-hum, cool it works.

Mike