Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Nov 26 23:10:29 UTC 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:37 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> CGN does not scale and cannot scale. At best, it's a hack that might allow us to cope with a few years of transition while there are still devices in homes that are IPv4-only, but it certainly doesn't reduce or remove the imperative.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm unsure whether or not this view is held by those who control spending and prioritization within most, or even many, ISPs.

Mobility (and everything is inexorably becoming mobile) is an obvious place where IPv6 makes a lot of sense, for example.  But native IPv6 on one's own access networks and then gatewaying/proxying to IPv4 for actual 'Internet' connectivity seems to be a significant direction.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton