Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:51:57 UTC 2012

The utility of this is somewhat moderated by limited geographical
mobility while a phone's active in a single session.  One rarely
drives from San Francisco to LA typing all the way on their smartphone
data connection, for example.

To the extent that you may apply IP ranges to wider geographical
areas, and limit the search space to a few % of the total, beyond
which devices get a new address pushed as they travel, this is
entirely manageable without the new header.

Some services dislike the endpoint renumbering like that, and some
connections go kerfluey, but most web based activities handle the
endpoint getting a new IP just fine; this is what cookies are for.
Your SSH connections will remind you that you should be using screen,
or not type and drive.  But the CHP and road hazards will already do
that.

Eventually being allowed to use air-to-ground cell data on airliners
will be slightly worse, but again, most protocols shrug at this
problem.

-george

--
-george william herbert