Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:01:17 UTC 2012

We have numbers to share.

We have performed two experiments at two different events LACNIC held
this year:

- June in Port-Au-Prince (~110 attendees)
- October in Montevideo (~400 attendees)

The question was: "What is the relation between IPv4 and IPv6 traffic in
a fully dual-stacked network?". The answers were remarkably consistent.
We got ~30% IPv6 in PAP and around 33% in MVD (actually in MVD we got
over 40% in total byte counts, but we corrected for the IPv6 video feed
that added a constant 1 Mbps/sec)

This percentage is calculated as:

100*(bytes sent and received over IPv6) / (total bytes sent and received)

In PAP we measured this using iftop and a couple of pcap filters on the
Linux server we were using as 'router' (Owen was there and was of great
help setting the whole thing up).

In MVD we had a dual 7201s as routers and we measured traffic with Netflow.

Warm regards,

~Carlos