Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:36:22 UTC 2012

Sent from ipv6-only Android
On Nov 26, 2012 5:54 AM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> > Why is that a significant question?
>
> It is significant because it provides some rough measure of the relative
*importance* of IPv6 connectivity to the users and to the
content/app/services networks.

Ipv6 is not important for users, it is important for network operators who
want to sustain their business.

> We are not yet at the point where ordinary people need end-to-end IPv6
connectivity across the public Internet in order to do their jobs.

> We are not even at the point where ordinary people need end-to-end IPv6
connectivity across the public Internet for recreational purposes.

> Providing IPv6 capabilities for popular content/apps/services like
Google, Netflix, and Facebook is one thing.  Creating compelling
content/apps/services which are *only* accessible via IPv6 is another.

Dont hold your breath.  It wont happen, and in the end means nothing.

> I believe gaming developers are probably in the best position to provide
such a stimulus, should they determine that it makes economic sense for
them to do so.

Nope. Nobody will leave money on the table by alienating users.

> > If they have IPv6, they will access a significant amount of content via
IPv6.

> The definition of 'have IPv6' is somewhat nebulous, at present - that's
part of the problem.

Apple and msft os' s now make a clear judgement on that. So, you need to
update your perspective.

> > I don't get why people are arguing that we shouldn't do IPv6 because
IPv6 is so little of total traffic.

> I'm not making that argument.

Good.

> > There is so little traffic because ISPs do not turn on IPv6. The
content is there now.

> As Randy noted, some big destination networks have in fact enabled IPv6
connectivity to their properties.  A lot haven't, however, and user
application  capabilities/behaviors also come into play.

> Again, where're the compelling IPv6-only content/apps/services?

Does not matter. And it will not happen.

The better question, for an isp, is what kind of ipv4 secondary market
budget do you have? How hot is your cgn running?  Like ALGs much ? Security
and attribute much ?

Again , users dont care or know about v4 or v6. This is purely a network
operator and app issue (cough cough ... skype).

CB