Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:56:52 UTC 2012

Just for redundancy's sake: No, L3 is **not** the place for this kind of
information. L3 is supposed to be simple, easy to implement, fast to
switch. In Spanish we have a very strong adjective for this kind of
ideas: "pésimo". I couldn't find a similar one in English without using
foul words :-)

In any case, and as it already has been pointed out, I can imagine an
upper layer protocol, similar to NTP that reports GPS coordinates. Come
to think of it, if NTP could be extended this would fit in nicely as
there are already lots of NTP nodes which already have GPS sensors.

Additionally, unless the proponents of this idea are expecting every
router manufacturer to build GPS chips into their gear and us datacentre
operators to drill holes on our roofs for the antennas, I don't see any
real useful role for this extension header.

cheers!

~Carlos