Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 26 14:37:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 06:25:47AM -0800, Damian Menscher wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>
> > Again, where're the compelling IPv6-only content/apps/services?
> >

> To answer your rhetorical question, http://www.kame.net/ has a dancing
> kame.  To my knowledge, that's the most compelling IPv6-only content.
>  Unsurprisingly, this does not drive user adoption, and major sites won't
> add IPv6-only content while a significant fraction of users are v4-only.

Recently, due to IPv4 scarcity some large mass hosters (OVH, and soon
Hetzner) have started to charge for IP use, with pricing probably moving
from current 1 EUR/IPv4 address/month to somewhere 2-5 EUR/IPv4 address/month.

This price pressure both allows an efficient use of existing
networks (by forcing customers to relinquish unused resources)
and also will drive adoption of IPv6-only models, as these addresses
remain free, for time being.