Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Nov 26 11:24:22 UTC 2012

On Nov 26, 2012, at 5:57 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

> almost all ip traffic is unintentional.

Sure.  But my point is the notion that observed IPv6 traffic volumes are due to deliberate migration is not correct.

> when the average consumer (real) broadband connection becomes v6 capable, about 40% of the traffic is instantly ipv6, thank you netflix, facebook, netflix, google, netflix, and netflix.

'When', or 'if'?  The creeping proliferation of CGNs and the like, along with your example of TVs and oblique point about the sparsity of IPv6-enabled content/services/applications, does not necessarily support the conclusion that wholesale migration within the near- or medium-terms is inevitable.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton