Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Sun Nov 25 12:42:31 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration Date: Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 04:29:15AM +0000 Quoting Dobbins, Roland (rdobbins at arbor.net):

> On Nov 25, 2012, at 10:09 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
>
> > from goeff huston's data they have more v6 at home.
>
> And not purposely, either - because it's enabled by default on recent client OSes.  My guess is that a non-trivial fraction of observed IPv6 traffic today is unintentional.

This is excellent! It is not likely that any end-user traffic over IPv4
is intentionally sent over IPv4. It is sent to Facebook. (eh, faceb00c,
of course) Likewise, the -4 and -6 options for SSH are there for debugging
and fault mitigation, nothing else.

I'm quite satisfied that this now is the norm. It's the only way we'll be
able to restore e2e on the Internet and evolve beyond simple client-server
models like TN3270^H^H^H^Hthe web.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668