Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Jay tech-lists at packet-labs.net
Wed Nov 21 04:51:50 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 1:24 PM, Blair Trosper wrote:
> However, I still scratch my head on why most major US ISPs *have* robust
> IPv6 peering and infrastructure and are ready to go, but they have not
> turned it on for their fiber/cable/DSL customers for reasons that are not
> clear to me.
>
> I keep pestering my home ISP about turning it on (since their network is
> now 100% DOCSIS 3), but they just seem to think I'm making up words.  One
> can hope, though.

This has partially been a vendor issue, at least for cable providers.
Two of the major CMTS vendors (one starts with C, the other A) have had
IPv6 related bugs in fairly recent code releases.    Both of the MSOs
I've worked for have had to delay IPv6 deployment while those vendors
get their waterfowl properly aligned.  I know we're still waiting for
one vendor to get it straightened out.