Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Michael Kratz MKratz at internode.com.au
Wed Nov 21 08:09:19 UTC 2012

On 21/11/2012, at 6:17 AM, Tomas Podermanski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/20/12 7:24 PM, Blair Trosper wrote:
>> I've found myself becoming a snob about IPv6.  I almost look down on
>> IPv4-only networks in the same way that I won't go see a film that isn't
>> projected on DLP unless my arm is twisted.  I'm a convert, and I'm glad to
>> see the adoption rate edging up.
>>
>> However, I still scratch my head on why most major US ISPs *have* robust
>> IPv6 peering and infrastructure and are ready to go, but they have not
>> turned it on for their fiber/cable/DSL customers for reasons that are not
>> clear to me.
>
> Turning IPv6 on at the basic/core of the infrastructure is the easiest
> part of the
> job. However turning IPv6 for customers requires a lot of effort and
> compromises. Some of the reasons are described in:
>
> http://6lab.cz/article/deploying-ipv6-practical-problems-from-the-campus-perspective/
>
> and related presentation:
>
> http://6lab.cz/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tnc2012_slides_TncPresentation.pdf

We (Internode), an Australian ISP, have native dual-stack enabled by default (and have done for a while) for almost all new broadband services (ADSL, FTTH, etc.).

Our existing customers can turn it on via an online toolbox.

All the broadband CPE that we sell, support it.

It's largely a non-issue for us now.

Most new customers running a 'current' operating system, who buy an ADSL or FTTH service and their modem/router from us, automatically get IPv6 from day dot without even necessarily realising it.

We recently passed 5% of our customer base being on IPv6: http://www.internode.on.net/news/2012/10/288.php

--
Michael