Fiber terminations -- UPC vs APC

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Nov 21 05:05:13 UTC 2012

Good stuff here:
http://www.n2prise.org/fiber002.htm and http://www.n2prise.org/fiber003.htm

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Kell [mailto:jeff-kell at utc.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 3:37 PM
To: nanog
Subject: Fiber terminations -- UPC vs APC

Looking for some guidance/references on the use of UPC versus APC
terminations on fiber
cabling.  Traditionally we have done all of our fiber plant targeting data
usage with
UPC connectors.  We are also looking at proposals for fiber distribution
plant for
video, and the possibility of using some of the existing fiber plant for
that purpose;
as well as any new fiber plant that gets installed for video potentially as
data.

The video folks are set, determined, and insistent that they need APC
terminations.

All data references I have found preach UPC.  Cisco's SFP reference page
even states (in
bold):

> *Note:* Only connections with patch cords with PC or UPC connectors are
supported.
> Patch cords with APC connectors are not supported. All cables and cable
assemblies
> used must be compliant with the standards specified in the standards
section.

So are we doomed to having physically separated fiber plants with suitable
connectors /
jumpers dedicated to video?  Anyone been down this snaky looking path?

Jeff