NTP Issues Today

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:49:47 UTC 2012

On 11/19/12, Van Wolfe <vanwolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did anyone else experience issues with NTP today?  We had our server
> times update to the year 2000 at around 3:30 MT, then revert back to 2012.

Are you sure that you are actually using NTP to set your clock?
For you to sync with 2000,  you should have had multiple confused
peers from multiple time sources;  possibly a false radio signal....

NTP by default has a panic threshold of 1000 seconds.

This  _should_   have caused NTP to execute a panic shutdown,
instead of setting the clock back  30 million seconds.

--
-JH