Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

Tomas Podermanski tpoder at cis.vutbr.cz
Tue Nov 20 19:47:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 11/20/12 7:24 PM, Blair Trosper wrote:
> I've found myself becoming a snob about IPv6.  I almost look down on
> IPv4-only networks in the same way that I won't go see a film that isn't
> projected on DLP unless my arm is twisted.  I'm a convert, and I'm glad to
> see the adoption rate edging up.
>
> However, I still scratch my head on why most major US ISPs *have* robust
> IPv6 peering and infrastructure and are ready to go, but they have not
> turned it on for their fiber/cable/DSL customers for reasons that are not
> clear to me.

Turning IPv6 on at the basic/core of the infrastructure is the easiest
part of the
job. However turning IPv6 for customers requires a lot of effort and
compromises. Some of the reasons are described in:

http://6lab.cz/article/deploying-ipv6-practical-problems-from-the-campus-perspective/

and related presentation:

http://6lab.cz/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tnc2012_slides_TncPresentation.pdf

Tomas