Fiber terminations -- UPC vs APC

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Nov 19 22:06:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> wrote:
> Looking for some guidance/references on the use of UPC versus APC terminations on fiber
> cabling.  Traditionally we have done all of our fiber plant targeting data usage with
> UPC connectors.  We are also looking at proposals for fiber distribution plant for
> video, and the possibility of using some of the existing fiber plant for that purpose;
> as well as any new fiber plant that gets installed for video potentially as data.
>
> The video folks are set, determined, and insistent that they need APC terminations.

Over the lifetime of this fiber plant, you will find yourself using
jumpers which convert to many different equipment-side connectors. So,
give the equipment side connectors a very low priority in your
equation and focus on capability. If you use APC terminations, can
jumper cables adequately convert them to UPC connectors on the
equipment side? Is the reverse true? That answer should drive your
choice.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004