Fiber terminations -- UPC vs APC

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Nov 19 21:57:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Jeff Kell wrote:

> So are we doomed to having physically separated fiber plants with
> suitable connectors / jumpers dedicated to video?  Anyone been down this
> snaky looking path?

Yes. Someone comes up with the brilliant idea to have APC on all new
installs, people end up using UPC patch cables anyway, and mayhem ensues.
You end up with having to stock substantially more patch cables than
otherwise, because now you need LC/UPC-SC/UPC and LC/UPC-SC-APC, you need
SC/APC-SC/APC, you need SC/UPC-SC/APC and so on. It's a mess.

If you need to do HFC in low-volume, do APC on those only. I believe it's
going to be cheaper in the long run than trying to go APC everywhere.

If a majority is going to be HFC, then you might be better off to go APC
everywhere.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se